Updated. 11.50am. The Echo has spoken to the British Veterinary Association and a spokesperson gave this statement: “We urge all dog owners to be cautious when walking on beaches. Dogs are naturally inquisitive and if owners have any worries about the health of their part they should contact their local vet.”
The Echo has received reports of dogs suffering the effects of poisoning after visiting the beach.
In one case, it is understood a dog had to be put to sleep due to the effects of poisoning.
With all the debris washed up after the recent storms it is thought than some species of dead sea creatures could be poisonous if eaten.
There has also been reports of Palm Oil washed up on east coast beaches, and that is also very harmful to dogs if ingested.
The Echo is still investigating this story and will update, but please be vigilant and watch out for your dog eating anything on the beaches.